
Ok, so I'm a confessed pack rat, I keep almost everything. Today is "sorting" day, and it's time to part with things I'll never use. Mostly, I keep sentimental things, or anything I can justify to myself that I "might need" someday. Today I'm cleaning out papers, and I found an old Far Side from August 29, 1994 or 1995, not sure which. I decorated my dorm room in college with it, but before that, it had a home in the locker Holly and I shared. It's a long-lived little scrap of paper. It even out lasted my 80s bangs... thank heavens!
Here you can see our eclectic, postmodern aesthetic ranging from the magnet of Dress-Me-David, which I still have on my fridge, to my NHRA sticker, to Holly's favorite: "Only You Know It's a Wig" advertisement and numerous prognostications from fortune cookies we collected. There is also a tiny Fidel Castro head and his foil Ethan Hawk. We also proudly proclaimed, "Buckle up," and "Feminists are ahead of their time!" It was all summarized by the uppermost label of "Transcendental Meditation."
Why as a matter of fact, yes that is Bob Dole's head and Ross Perot's nose. Holly and I felt the need for ironic commentary on the concept of "hunky" guys in one's locker. Of course, we did have our handsome guys (I liked the dark haired guy, and Holly always liked blonds), but we felt the need to counterbalance it with humorous political figures, who were decidedly not hunky. As for the Far Side comic strip, I've decided to keep it.

2 comments:
Yeah, Tammy! This was so fun to see. I'm going download these photos. We were funny HS students :). And you know, this very week, sitting on the bus, I saw a pickup with a NHRA sticker and thought of you and the Old FB.
Yeah!
Hey Holly! I'm glad you found them entertaining! :) We were silly kids, but we were happy to be ourselves. I'm glad you were there to be my friend.
Post a Comment