Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Omniscient... maybe not

From The Onion:
http://www.theonion.com/content/newsbriefs/thirdpersonlimited
Third-Person Limited Omniscient Narrator
Blown Away By Surprise Ending

"PROVIDENCE, RI—The third-person limited omniscient voice, a narrative mode used to convey a story through the thoughts and senses of a literary character, was reportedly 'caught totally off guard' after the main character was unexpectedly killed in the last chapter of the new novel Bertram's Way. 'Holy shit, I did not see that coming. Did you see that coming?' the disembodied literary device said on page 367 following the last paragraph of the novel. 'Man, right in the head!' The popular narrative method said it would try to pay closer attention when utilized in the book's planned sequel, Bertram's Revenge."

This made me laugh and reminded me of something I used to think when I was a kid. I wanted to read or write a book where the main character died on the last page, right in the middle of something mundane, like grocery shopping or walking around a corner. And you'd never know what happened, the book would just be over. I always thought there was too much security in the narrator, and it just wasn't true to life. I was, and still am, a weird kid though. But this was my big idea when I was about 10. Maybe this tendency also explains why I don't believe in an omniscient god? I was a little Nietzsche-Barthes and just didn't know it.

P.S. I only said "omniscient"-- although it does apply to a couple other omnis too: omnipotent among them. But I'm still holding out on the omnibenevolent one, which to me is most important anyway, although even that one is certainly up for grabs.

No comments: