Ok, so some minor news. Believe it or not, J.D. and I got basic cable installed this morning. To friends that know us well, I understand, this is probably a little shock. Just be assured, we still do not own cell phones. (We haven't gotten there yet).
The basic cable came with an Internet speed upgrade, and it's free for a year (after which we'll cancel it), but hey, at least now we can see the channels we do watch. And, get this, evidently with cable you don't need rabbit ears! Who knew!
I just love the reactions from people when they ask if we want a cable upgrade or one of the billion different packages they offer. They seem so incredulous when I simply say "we don't have or want cable." Although, the best reaction was from a woman promoting a cell phone deal. She inquired who our "current provider" was. I said "I don't own a cell phone," and she seemed both shocked and horrified. The world really tries to convince us that we NEED this and we NEED that... oh, how can one survive without a million channels? I'm sure we'll probably get a cell phone someday, when it makes sense. I do see the ways in which they're very handy.
As for our new basic cable, ultimately, now I can watch the Weather Channel and worry about people in Idaho! Yippee! Let the 24/7 party begin.
No comments:
Post a Comment