Monday, July 14, 2008

Gooey butter cake

Happy Birthday Dad. Love you. I wish we were there to join the fun.


Today Athena ate lettuce. I swear, she acts like the "in-famous" Delmar. She also ate 2 black beans and a piece of red pepper. I have a garbage cat on my hands. Of course, it's my fault for giving her this stuff, but part of me is curious what she'll actually eat. I sure didn't bet on the lettuce.

As for us and our eating habits, tonight I tried baking a St. Louis style gooey butter cake. Yeah, not such a fan. Perhaps I just made it wrong, but basically it's like eating soft butter rolled in flour. Blahh. Maybe I've had this stuff before, but I honestly don't remember. Seems weird I wouldn't remember that. I got the idea to make it from watching Show Me St. Louis during a segment advertising a place that specializes in them called Gooey Louie. At least I satisfied my curiosity. I wasted a lot of butter though. Shhhh... don't tell J.D.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not know your Dad was born on Bastille Day! Happy Birthday to him! (and it's a special one, too!)

Also, that is soooo hilarious about Athena and the lettuce. I am so laughing. It makes me smile that you have a little bit of Delmar down on Delmar.

OK onto the cake--I was so sure...super-sure I had it with you before. I also did not know you made it. The only other time I had it was courtesy of the local gourmet bakery (Schnucks, of course).

Anyway, what I did not want to share my description of it with you so as not to, um, color, your experience of it. My impression of "gooey looey" (great name!) is that it's lemon bars where someone forgot to include the lemon. And that the lemon is a critical ingredient. Really critical. What do you think?

Maybe homemade is better than Schnucks. Let me know what you think.

talk to you later!

vesperstar said...

¡Viva la Revolución!

(Is the French the same as the Spanish)? Although, surprisingly, around Burley we never really
viva(ed) up the revolution too much. ;)

Now that you mention the lemon thing... I do remember that.

At least, I vaguely remember something lemony... or maybe just yellow. I didn't associate the lemon flavoring with it, perhaps because, as you mention, there wasn't much lemon. I do recall something yellow and mushy. (Or was that our Ethiopian food?) Just joking.

Someday we'll have to try the Gooey Louie place downtown, which uses real fruit as flavoring.

vesperstar said...

P.S. Athena actually growls at Sophie if she comes close to her lettuce. Poor Sophie was just walking by.

I told her: "Athena, no one else in the world wants your lettuce."