Wednesday, April 29, 2009

4:30 a.m.

Imponderable Weight

Earth keeps memory
of every dried wildflower pressed
to her book of time.

Earth remembers all--
each broken blue robin's shell
emptied from its nest.

How could Earth forget
the pleasures of your footfall,
light dance to slow step?


Athena, our baby-in-training, woke me up at 4:30 this morning. So, here's just some lines that began forming in my brain as I tried to get back to sleep. John Hollander shows this extended haiku form in Rhyme's Reason.

Since then, I've been watching the news. I see that the Missouri House of Representatives is trying to tack on legislation enabling pharmacies to not sell Plan B or even tell the women where they can get it. They're adding this provision to a bill on licensing legislation, SB296. So I e-mailed my Rep. and told her to be vocal against it. She's a Democrat from St. Louis. . . so obviously. . . but still. Some doofus from O'Fallon linked telling pharmacies to provide full medical services to communism: "I just have trouble understanding why anybody who is an American, who is not in favor of communism, would want us to dictate what we're going to say people can and cannot stock," (Rep. Cynthia Davis, R-O'Fallon). Sometimes wouldn't it be so satisfying to just smack people? I also protest how the news articles inaccurately make Plan B and the abortion pill synonyms. The "or" here is very deceptive:

"The Missouri House has endorsed a measure specifically allowing pharmacies to decide whether to stock the "morning-after" emergency contraceptive or abortion pills." (See linked story above).

Ok, maybe I might go back to sleep now. Poetry and outrage worked out.

2 comments:

Olivia said...

Wow. Well the one thing that Blago did right here in Illinois was to enforce an executive order requiring pharmacies to stock Plan B AND to require pharmacists to fill prescriptions for birth control AND to tell women where they could go to get more if their pharmacy was out of stock. I mean, the drug IS available OTC........what a difference crossing the river makes.

Man, this makes me really, really angry, too.

Stupid Mizzoura!

vesperstar said...

Yep, it's pretty sad. Just imagine how it will harm women living in rural areas with limited access, especially since time matters. Or women that don't have transportation to just go somewhere else.