Today there were concerts in the Loop. When I went to get a smoothie and hear some of the music around 6:00, they stopped playing. Typical. On the way home I found a cell phone on the sidewalk. I waited around for the owner for about 5 minutes, but then just went home, since it was next door. I figured they would call or I would find someway to call them or one of their friends.
When I opened the phone to find a name or number, the text messages popped up. I snooped through them only to discover that I'm amazed by certain personalities. For example, why would a person send this text message to a friend: "I’m ready whenevs but I have to shower and shit." What sort of person writes that? Who cares if you need a bathroom break; do you really have to let your friend know that sort of detail about your personal bodily functions? It was a female, and she loved to send text messages, that much I discerned. She would send messages every couple of minutes. I'm pretty sure her friend, the recipient of these charming notes, didn't really care if she was eating ice cream with Ian or waiting in line for the lady's room. There was another girl who wrote: "I had sex 3 times tonight." Classy. And there were the typical statements about partying: "I’m not sure that I can get alcohol anymore tho cuz parents are around right now."
Now, just imagine teaching these individuals critical thinking skills and to appreciate language that does not include "whenevs" "cuz" or "tho"-- the challenge is clearly defined.
The owner did call her phone and all was returned with no problem. I know I shouldn't have read the messages, but sometimes I'm curious about life on the wild side.
No comments:
Post a Comment