The Hind and the Panther, Dryden (II.196-203)
Well, we didn't finish the final round, so if any of you wanted (or even thought about) closure, here's your chance. Wisdom Category.
1. According to Psalms 8:5, what did God make man a little lower than? (Shakespeare uses this comparison in Hamlet- sort of ). This makes me think of my dear friend Holly because she really liked the first part of Hamlet's speech, when we read it in our AP English class. :)
2. What answer was given by Samuel when God called him? (It wasn't "wrong number").
3. Complete the following sentence: "Draw nigh unto God and. . . ." (6 words)
4. Who wrote the following verse: "He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life"? "He that hath a sandwich hath lunch; and he that hath not a sandwich of eating hath not lunch." (Ok, I made the lunch thing up; I'm hungry for a good sandwich).
5. Fill in the blanks: "A good name is rather to be chosen than _____ _____." (2 words)
6. In what book is the following verse found: "For the Word of God is quick and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword"? (There's a cheeky possible answer here, along with the more difficult, specific one).
7. Complete the instruction of Jesus: "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations. . . . " (17 words)
8. Who said, "After my skin is destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God"?
9. Finish the following: "In all thy ways acknowledge him, . . . ." (6 words)
10. What statement of Jesus confused and amazed Nicodemus?
11. In the beatitudes, who does Jesus say will receive mercy?
12. Finish the following line: "As for me and my house. . . ." (5 words)
13. Complete this verse: "Seek and ye shall find, . . . . " (6 words)
14. Complete this sentence: "For dust thou art. . . . " (6 words)
15. Complete the statement from Jesus' parable of the rich man and the beggar about heaven and hell: "Between us and you there is a great _____ _____. " (2 words)
16. Proverbs 3:11 tells us not to despise what from the Lord?
17. Which book promises that "God shall bring every work into judgment with every secret thing whether it be good or whether it be evil"?
18. Which book records Paul's correction of Peter for his shunning of the uncircumcised?
19. Finish the promise: "And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and . . . . " (5 words)
20. Which book tells us not to forget to entertain strangers, since some have thus entertained angels?
21. Where is this verse found: "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"? (Probably the way my advisor feels).
22. Where can this statement be found: "I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness"? (I read "doorstopper" here first; it was more entertaining).
23. What did Jesus tell us not to do, "lest they trample them under their feet"?
24. Complete the following statement by Paul: "God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to . . . . " (3 words)
25. Where should we have learned: "Much study wearies the body"? (Ok, that's my question). Then again, you do have to study to know that, ah, the paradox.
Feel free to answer as many as you want. I'll give points for real and silly, amusing answers this round. Prizes will be awarded after we're done.
4 comments:
I love Bible Trivia. I'm a dork.
1. woman? that would fit, right?
9. And he shall direct thy paths (proverbs)
10. born again ...
12. we will serve the Lord.
14. and to dust thou shalt return.
23. [some verb like drop or thrust or something] your pearls before swine
I'm in it for the glory, not the prizes, I'd go for more, but that would be unpious and it's hard to type while holding sleeping babies (thus I ca only capitalize letters on the right side of keyboard).
Yay! You remembered! I wasn't going to ask, but it did seem like we forgot a round.
1. I want to leave this for Holly, but I am going to take a stab at it anyway, since I am so bad at this game, and I might get it (hoping, hoping....) Anyway, my anser is angels....
2. Something like...are you there God? I have heard you calling in the night....I will go, if you lead me...(and do what you want).... (this answer comes from a Catholic school hymn, of course).
4. Paul? (a real big guess here....) I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, as you know...and almost shared the jelly with Delmar!
5. crappy ones (hee hee) like Aloha
11. I'm a terrible Catholic....I cannot remember this for the life of me, and I almost cheated by looking it up, but I cannot remember for real, so I am going with my original answer...the poor, no the hungry, no the wicked...wait, no that's REALLY wrong. Anyway, let me know.
25. Good old Ecclesiastes (because there will be much making of books)....thanks for this one Tammy, it was a great finish!
I'll leave the rest for others.
Hi Mrs. B,
1. Sadly, no. I wish it could have been! It may have helped the last couple millenia regarding the treatment of women.
9. Yep, exactly. "...and He shall direct thy paths."
10. Yes, "That a man can be born again." (John 3:7)
12. Again right, (Joshua 24:15).
14. Yes, "and (un)to dust shalt thou return." (Genesis 3:19).
23. Yes. "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you" (Matthew 7:6).
Dear Baby Olivia,
1. Yes, the angels! You aren't bad at this game! Instead, I have to confess, I misremembered the Shakespeare. He writes men are like angels, not lower than them: "What a piece of work is man. How noble in reason. How infinite in faculty. In form and moving how express and admirable. In action, how like an angel. In apprehension, how like a god. The beauty of the world. The paragon of animals" (II.ii.304-308). Of course this is directly followed by: "And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust. Man delights not me." :)
2. Yes, pretty much "I have heard you calling." It seems like a conversation taking place in spite of a bad cell phone connection: "Speak, for thy servant heareth" (1 Sam 3:10).
4. Sadly, no Paul was is not the answer they're looking for here. Evidently, he was not down with the eating of sandwiches for lunch. Although, wasn't it Paul that had the dream about not following dietary laws?
5. A point for making me laugh! LOL. :) "crappy ones (hee hee) like Aloha." Seriously, WHO names their kid "Aloha"?
11. You're over-thinking it. It's WAY more simplistic and obvious, almost to the point of silliness. Seriously, a synonym here is even too much.
25. Yep, "Good old Ecclesiastes" 12:11. I'm glad you enjoyed that one.
Well, I'm off to the library to hopefully do some work. Talk to you later!
Post a Comment