"At approximately 12:34pm Wednesday, a graduate student was walking on M--- in University City north of the Danforth campus. The student was approached by four subjects who asked him for money. The student continued to walk on by and was then struck by one of the subjects with a fist. The subjects then took his cell phone and some cash and fled to the north."
(Sheesh. This is why I don't walk around at night with my wedding ring. It seems like every 3 months there's a robbery on the corner, well, actually they seem to be happening more frequently. I'm beginning to get desensitized to it.)
On the happy side today I got a holiday card from a former student. That made me smile. He said we should have a "Writing 1 Reunion." LOL.
We'll be leaving soon to see Craig Ferguson at the Pageant. It should be fun. I really like Mr. Ferguson. I think he's easily the most humorous late night guy. Hopefully it will be fun.
Well, there's nothing else too happy right now, so I'll keep my whining to myself. I'm so scattered right now.
7 comments:
I apologize for making light of the suffering of others, but . . . very three months??? Hee, hee. In my first month of graduate school about five people I know at school had their laptops stolen from their locked apartments. I know of multiple othet attempted break ins, including one at my place. I can think of several people who have been robbed near school. New police bulletins are sent to all students fairly regularly. (I think we got one last week.) Someone was shot and killed last year less than a week after successfully defending their dissertation. Yet the area around the school is one of the best patrolled I've ever seen. I still walk everywhere wearing jewelry and a purse. Want to come visit me next year?
How extra CRUEL that seems... to be shot after successfully defending your dissertation....
Sure, lutheranchick, I'll be right there... let me just grab my designer, all purpose mace. :)
Then again, I'm also the person who had her car stolen twice (once I got it back). The other time they crashed it and left an empty bottle of Jim Beam in the back for me.
Then my bike was stolen, twice. The first time I had it chained to another object, and they tried taking it in broad daylight. I guess they had a stroke of enlightenment and realized it would look a bit funny lugging a bike around chained to something. The next time they brought back better hardware. Both times it was locked in our locked basement behind our locked storage unit.
We also had a guy try to get in our car after a drug deal went bad on the corner, and he was running from his pursuers across traffic. And of course there were homeless guys living in our basement, burning candles around insulation and blankets.... ah, our city life.
Yes, that poor guy. I think it's the only time I've ever heard the U of C sound sorry for a student. His family (from India I think) was posthumously given his degree.
I know of plenty of bike thefts in the area, but haven't heard so much about car theft. You definitely take the cake on that one.
Yes, I like to whine about my silly experiences. Also, I like to joke that I am not allowed to own wheels in St. Louis! If I had roller skates, they would steal them (probably twice).
Hi Tammy I love you. Love DAD
Hi Dad and Mom. Love you both too. :)
Post a Comment