Monday, April 14, 2008

Live in the Loop

Off-campus protest against Scientology draws students - News
(The news article is from February, so evidently they've done this multiple times)

Saturday J.D. and I were just driving to the mall, minding our own business, when we noticed about 50 people in full face masks walking around the loop. Most wore V for Vendetta versions of Guy Fawkes masks; although, one individual wore a green alien mask. The protesters stood huddled against the cold across the street from the Scientology building. They carried signs like "Scientology Kills" and "Scientology destroys families." They claim to be protesting the recruitment practices, but when you wear an alien costume and carry those signs. . . .

Anyway, the whole thing was odd.

People love nothing so much as belonging to a group, unless it's protesting a group.
And then, that's best done, in a group.

As for me, I'll stick with my caffeine and pass on the (what was it, potassium or vitamin B...? I can't remember). Oh wait, it was niacin!


P.S.

* The insider joke is that a year or so ago, I went inside the Scientology building during an Open House with my friend "Ellen." We saw the lie-detector gadget, the meditation room, the video tape room, and the basement/exercise room. But mostly I remember the guy, at the end of the tour, asking me if I'd ever taken so much niacin my skin and face turned bright red.

I don't know how I did it, but somehow, I managed to keep a straight face and give my most sincere, sweet: "No, actually, I never have." That was a feat of acting because right now I'm cracking up remembering it. "Why yes, I try to turn bright red all the time!

Amused in St. Louis,
"Rita"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember the lie detector device? It looked like a couple of cans attached to a weather device. I am still giggling about it!