I just listened to the BBC discuss the 100 year anniversary of Filippo Marinetti's "Futurist Manifesto" in Le Figaro, Feb. 20, 1909. Now, I'm not a "Futurist," (I don't think anyone is anymore) nor am I a particular fan of Marinetti, but this manifesto launched a century of other manifestos. So, I thought what the hell, here's my manifesto. (In 11 points, true to the form Marinetti used, merely because 11 was his favorite number).
1. Love is holy.
2. Everyone should read at least one poem per day. Poetry edifies the soul, even limericks, although not as much.
3. Everyone should praise George Eliot. She should have fresh flowers everyday at her grave. People should go on pilgrimage to place them there.
4. Alec Baldwin is not allowed to ever attempt making chicken pot pies. (Ok, this one is just silly). But seriously, everyone should say something absolutely silly everyday.
5. If anyone ever makes a cartoon about Jesus and a magic unicorn, I own the copyright. (Oh, another silly one). Questioning is good.
6. No one over the age of 6 should ever wear polka dots.
7. Chewing with one's mouth open is now banned! Forever!!!
8. Never ask "How are you?" if you aren't willing to stop and wait for an answer.
9. World of Warcraft will only operate once a week for 3 hours maximum.
10. Anyone declaring how anyone else should live, if they're not hurting anyone, should probably knock it off.
11. Anyone calling herself out in her own Manifesto is at least probably a benign dictator with a healthy sense of humor.
4 comments:
I feel a sudden need to go buy something with polka dots.
Oh, you subversive friend! Already messing with my Manifesto! Curses! :)
Well, ok... people can wear polka dots if they also have a Sex Pistols tattoo on their forehead... we'll compromise. (I'm not unreasonable you know).
I just think all that "cutesiness" needs to be balanced with a little grit.
Yeah, I saw a pink polka dot cardigan at Costco the other day ago....I almost looked at it, until I realized that I would be dressing like my 2 year old!
Loved the manifesto....especially on this day, when I am thinking about Mars Marzipan Beelow and Figaro 'the Box' Taylor. Somewhere, they are licking plastic, peering out some blinds, climbing under some covers (or into a box), refusing to have white parts touched, chasing bugs, butterflies, and all sorts of other cats and dogs, and of course, playing bathtub. I miss those guys, even as I love the girls so much! I am also so sorry that I am late in getting a call to you today, but I still love you. I hope that you know that I had you in my thoughts and heart today.
Love,
Cather
Oh, thank you Catherine. I know you loved them too.
Post a Comment