"It doesn't matter what color the cat is as long as it catches mice." -Chinese Proverb
Maybe it does matter, or at least make a difference in personality. I ran across this information tonight from a book called Animals Make Us Human by Dr. Temple Grandin.
A small part of one of her chapters examines research on cats' colorings and behavior patterns.
Grandin suggests that black cats (generally) make the friendliest cats, while tortoiseshells are typically "naughty torties." This rings true in the context of my personal experience.
Although, Athena is technically a "Torbie" (tortoiseshell-tabby) as Catherine taught me, she definitely has what they call "Tortie-tude."
Anyway, according to this book, black cats tend to be more social overall with other cats and humans. It discusses how black fur is a recessive gene, needed from both parents. So, it is a trait that has been selectively bred. Grandin states (but doesn't follow-up or impact) an assertion that the black fur gene has evolved four different times in four different species of cat. She also remarks that a researcher with the feline genome project theorizes black cats may be resistant to viruses in the HIV family. Grandin argues that orange male cats are more aggressive than black males. She says orange cats tend to be more fearful and shy, so they express more of what she calls "fear aggression" if they are provoked or cornered. Although, she is careful to clarify that neutered orange males and females can be extremely affectionate (even if they may still startle easily). She ends by restating that all cats are truly individuals, and color doesn't guarantee personality, but these are traits researchers are beginning to investigate.
I don't know about the orange cat part, but I agree black cats are very affectionate and like to be around people (at least "their" human/s). And I can testify that "torbie-tude" does exist. Oh yes it does.
2 comments:
Tammy--
Thanks for the messages (email and voice). I am home now and feeling much better, thanks to you. I'll call you later about it,
I think that Grandin's work sounds amazing. I so agree that Athena has Torbi-tude.
So black cats are friendlier? I never knew that! Maybe that's why Delmar "melted" (as the vet put it) so quickly from semi-feral to tame and Cuppycake is having a more difficult time (she also says it has to do with female versus male, but I do NOT agree)......
That would also explain why Octie Lu and Delmar act like such babies and are so attached to me, and why Cheatham is, well, the tenant. Also, ultimately, why Clarence peed on Michael that time he scared him and cornered him before going to the vet. Clarence also acts like the 'guard cat' and often sits by the front window and if he sees something he doesn't like, he will growl and hiss and his hackles get up, just like a dog. I guess it's his orange patch. Do white portions call for laziness?
And then there's Wilbur, the strangest, wiliest, and downright orneriest (longhaired) orange cat I have ever seen. He is usually calm and happy (everyone notes how he just loves to roll!)....unless you try to groom him or medically treat him in any way, and then he morphs into the feline equivalent of Cujo. And of course, being a longhaired cat who likes to roll around, he has always needed grooming and/or had matting issues, so the slashes are aplenty. At his first grooming session, he did fine until he heard the clippers, and then he freaked out, bit the lady, and started charging all the other cats and dogs in the cages, hissing wildly at them. As you know, we have long since switched to sedated shaves.
Thanks for the interesting information....I think it is soooooo interesting. It makes a lot of sense in putting together the pieces of the puzzle of cat behavior!
With much love and appreciation,
Catherine
I thought it was interesting research too. She also discusses that whether or not dogs look like wolves may determine how many wolf behaviors they retain. Surprisingly, the wolf behaviors that have been bred out of dogs like spaniels tend to be the submissive behaviors, so pure bred dogs can have more trouble getting along with other dogs. They have difficulty reading the submissive signs other dogs send.
I wanted her to discuss cats more!
I really hope you're feeling better. Hugs.
Post a Comment