Sunday, June 21, 2009

Home Again

I'm back in Burley. Not much really changes here, at least not quickly. They're tearing down the Overland Elementary School that my father attended. I guess they're taking it down brick-by-brick to reuse. Burley as a whole fits that sort of general slow, brick-by-brick pace.

I love seeing my family. Everyone is doing well, and Madison is a little angel. She's sweet and cute with lots of lovely dark hair. She's a quiet baby. I sleep upstairs right above their room and have not heard her cry in three nights. Candice said she went to sleep around 11:00 p.m. and slept until 3:00 a.m., then until 6:30 a.m., and finally woke up at 10:30 a.m. Mom, Candice, and I gave her a bath today, and she didn't cry or fuss a bit. Candice is also doing very well.

Yesterday for fun Mom and I went to the grand Burley Museum. We bought a book they published that has a picture of my Grandma Afton harvesting potatoes in her high heels. She and my Grandpa Wade were among the first to really turn a lot of Burley desert into good farmland. They also had a picture of my Grandpa's truck hauling sugarbeets.

In the actual Museum they had old machinery, farm equipment, clothes, journals (I was interested in one woman's who quoted Matthew Arnold), arrowheads, multiple buffalo skulls, supposedly the train car that carried John Wilkes Booth's body (and was later used to raise pigs), and an early settler's log cabin with a dirt floor rebuilt log-by-log for display. They also had a lot of items that were random and somewhat junky. Mom and I laughed for quite a while over their "fabulous pencil collection." Of course it wasn't labeled that, but they looked like regular pencils from local businesses circa the 1980s. Ah, such is Burley.

I'll post some of the interesting information I found in the book later. But does anyone want to venture a guess about Cassia County trivia?

1. How did the town "Declo" get its name?

2. What was the full name of the college in Albion?

3. When was alcohol illegal in Burley?

4. What was "Diamondfield Jack Davis" accused and found guilty of?

5. When did Burley become the county seat?

6. The Chadwick building built in 1917 had a pool hall and cigar store on its ground floor; what was upstairs?

7. The corner of Main and Overland where men gathered to exchange gossip used to be known as what?

8. Intersections of roads used to have signs warning people against what crime?

9. How many known Jewish families settled in Burley prior to 1930?

10. How many children were necessary in a community before the state would send a teacher?

11. What was the original name of "Elba"?

12. What was the reasoning for the town name "Malta"?

2 comments:

Olivia said...

I am so happy that you are having a good time with little Madison and enjoying your family too. How is little Bomber the kitty?

I love the collection from the history museum and if possible, I would love to see the picture of your grandmother picking potatoes in her heels! That sounds great!

Okay, I am taking a stab at answering the trivia questions....please don't get insulted because I am totally going to guess/make up some of the answers and I totally cheated by going to the Wikipedia page on Cassia County!

Seriously, I am not trying to be snarky or mean here, just trying to poke fun at my own stupidity.

1. Declo....hmm, Declo. Card playing was prohibited so people had to keep their decks of cards low and hence the name Declo? (how about Rupert? What about them?)

2. Rick's College of Idaho?

3. I'm going with that it was always dry....just because John Cazier was a member of the "Mormon Battalion."

4. Murder most foul!

5. Now this one I know (because I cheated, sorry!). 1918.

6. I'm going with a church just for kicks.

7. The Exchange? The Henhouse?

8. I'm going with train crashes from that old MST3K episode featuring JD's grandfather where the guy ignores the sign and drives right into the train. Or my second choice is 'corning,' the devious vandalism committed in Somerset, Pennsylvania to let you know that you were a dork (according to Michael's one year spent there). My final choice is potato gun shootings.

9. I'm going with zero Yiddish speakers prior to 1930. But I have a strong suspicion that a few Amish refugees snuck in here and there.

10. I'm guessing that the state would need at least 12 pupils for a teacher to be sent. (I'm borrowing from the TV version of Little House on the Prairie, here).

11. Okay I cheated. But I'm not going to spoil it for others.

12. Totally cheated on this one too. I'm sorry, but I gave up and I didn't have a funny answer other than they drink a lot of malts or that someone had a romantic imagination (you did mention that someone liked to quote Matthew Arnold in her journal!). But I am not going to spoil it.


Thank you for a refreshing and funny diversion. I hope that you are enjoying yourself and having a great time with your Mom, sister, and the rest of your family!

Hugs,
Catherine

Olivia said...

PS...I also love the inside joke about alcohol and Burley, even though it involves a bit of painful personal family history....