Thursday, October 16, 2008

Prophecy

A lot of these questions are really a matter of interpretation and bias.

Most all of them end with an answer like this: "Prophesied curses upon faithless Jews," which you can see becomes a very annoying pattern.

So, for this round I thought it might be fun to be a bit silly. First will be 5 straight-up questions that somehow manage to NOT be about condemning "the Jews."

1. Which king had a dream of a huge statue representing four kingdoms?
2. What animal was the third creature like in Daniel's dream of four beasts?
3. What number appears second most in the book of Revelation?
4. What colour of horse does the rider of Revelation's third seal ride?
5. What did Pharaoh's dream of seven fat and seven thin cows represent?

So, if you would like to avoid any taint of blasphemy, you should probably stop here.

Then, for my irreverent friends and just for fun, a few that require our "interpretation"-- what do these lines mean or predict? How have these statements been fulfilled?

1. "These things shall be a sign and a wonder."
2. "I will plant them upon their land and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them."
3. ". . . old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."
4. "The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light."
5. "So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot: I will spue thee out of my mouth."
6. "All things are lawful for me but I will not be brought under the power of any."
7. "Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing."

Feel free to answer whatever you want and how many you want.

15 comments:

lutheranchick said...

1. "These things shall be a sign and a wonder." Your body and its various bits, according to John Mayer
2. "I will plant them upon their land and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them." – parking lot weeds
3. ". . . old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." – Cher, or at least most of her
4. "The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light." – Lightbulb jokes, the prophet was really ahead of his time
5. "So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot: I will spue thee out of my mouth." – My coffee by lunchtime
6. "All things are lawful for me but I will not be brought under the power of any." – The current administration according to its lawyers
7. "Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing." – when the insurance fraud is revealed

I think I might be a little bit bored.

Mrs. B. Roth said...

Is it cheating to look up answers? Not that I have time to make a chart and look up all the numerical references in the book of Revelation. #5 was 7 years of plenty followed by 7 years of famine.

#6 of the irreverent list is clearly your friend and mine, GW, no?

I hope #3 is a prophecy about the upcoming election.

Mrs. B. Roth said...

But what if #3 is a post-election prophecy???

Olivia said...

Um, the only one I can answer (at all) is that Pharoah's dream meant seven years of plenty followed by seven years of famine. But I see Brandy has already answered it. So I'll take a stab at #1--Solomon.

And maybe #4 down below, Jesus? To answer in Michael fashion. The founding of the church?

Lutheranchick, you make me laugh.

Olivia said...

Can I change my answer to David? I just don't remember Solomon having too many dreams, but then again, my memory of the Bible is very spotty.

lutheranchick said...

Actually I know I'm bored.

Here (for absolutely no valid reason) is the worst sentence I've read this week:

The Rector beside him in the moonlight that lay like a platinum sheen over the lawn of Meadowgate Farm.

It's just so bad on so many levels. I showed it to my sister and her response was, "Plating farms with precious metals is always a bad idea."

vesperstar said...

Lutheranchick, you made me smile too. And mercy, that is an AWFUL line on so many levels. Where did you encounter that? Thanks for sharing though; I have a fondness for hideous lines. We should have a competition for the worst lines we've all read this week. (But I think yours beats anything I've encountered recently!)

Mrs. B, No, it's not cheating, if you want to for these ones. Yeah, #7 was the years of plenty and famine. And let's really hope #3 isn't a post-election prophecy!!!

Baby Olivia, go with a general, famous historical king, not necessarily one found only in the Bible. I realize these questions are ridiculously specific. It was HARD finding any that were not raging with anti-Semitism.

To everyone, feel free to add your own snippets of text for further revelation of prophecy!

I'm off to a doctor's appointment. If I get hit with a bus or lightning, well, at least you'll know why. :)

lutheranchick said...

I got it from a book whose last line is "Go, and be as the butterfly."

Welcome to the world of popular Christian fiction.

I am struggling mightily to read this book. (I skipped ahead to see that last line.) When I am done with it I have the post conversion work of Anne Rice to get through.

(sigh)

Anonymous said...

Well, I am going to take a few stabs in the dark:

Alexander the Great
Louis XIV
Henry VIII

Can you give a hint as to general time-frame/era?


Otherwise, I'm going with black for #4.

Olivia said...

PS--do you think I might do better with some of those anti-semitic questions, being quasi-Jewish, you know?

Olivia said...

Huge statue--is that the Colossus guy? Or Ozymandius, that poem by one of the Romantics (I was to say Shelley, but I think that's wrong). I'm going with the statue motif.....

vesperstar said...

It was a Black Horse! Yes! :)

I don't think my statue/general king clue was any good. It is a Biblical guy, Old Testament, book of Daniel, Babylon c. 600 BCE, built a wonder of the world, that guy. The statue was just a metaphor in his dream.

You're right about Shelley writing "Ozymandias."

Hey, I just found another one like you found. It puts the question this way:

"Which book correctly prophesied that the Jews would eat their own children when under siege?"

Or there's this one that's interesting:

"How do you spell "Yahweh," the ancient Hebrew word for God?

Olivia said...

Well I think it's the guy who built the hanging gardens of Babylon. Come ON people, throw me a bone here!

vesperstar said...

Yeah, you got it, Nebuchadnezzar.

I never realized before that my brother's name is in there. You certainly don't pronounce the "Chad" part distinctly.

Speaking of Chad, I heard tonight that he got an eye infection from getting antifreeze in his eye! Ouch! He got medicine & treatment for it though, so he will be OK, thankfully.

Lora V. said...

Shoot, I came back to the game kind of late. I knew Nebuchadnezzar and the 7 fat and thin cows ones, but they've been taken, as has the horse one. So I've got two left in the top five questions. I'm not sure which animal the third creature would have been like, but if I remember correctly, it would have been covered head to toe with eyes, and I'm pretty sure one of them would have been an eagle and one of them would have been a lion and one of them would have been a man. And I'm pretty sure 12 and 7 would have been the two most frequently used numbers in Revelations, but I'm not sure in what order. Do I get anything for those?

I like Lutheranchick's answers, but now I have to come up with some.

1. "These things shall be a sign and a wonder." The prophet asked God for a glimpse of the future. God was in a playful mood and agreed to his request, but rickrolled him. The verse continues, "And lo, the man with red hair was wearing copious amounts of hair gel, and the black man did walk upon the wall."
2. "I will plant them upon their land and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them." This is a vision of things yet to come, when furries are given their own island away from the rest of us.
3. ". . . old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." The McCain campaign's claim to be about "change."
4. "The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light." This foretold the invention of Lasik.
5. "So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot: I will spue thee out of my mouth." The comic strip "For Better or For Worse."
6. "All things are lawful for me but I will not be brought under the power of any." I really don't think there's any way I can improve on Lutheranchick's answer; it was certainly what sprang to my mind first.
7. "Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing." The invention of Viagra.