http://mednews.wustl.edu/news/page/normal/12502.html
Recently there has been a lot of talk about not eating and living longer. In the past few years, studies done on mice revealed those with an overall restricted diet had a longer life.
Researchers are NOT finding the same is true in humans. The findings are currently suggesting it is only beneficial when humans cut down on protein intake. I've posted the article from my university, which is doing some of this research.
I'm sure vegetarianism will be the way of the future. I greatly admire vegetarians, but I am not there yet. Please note too, the researchers are not saying to stop eating protein -- you still need it! But it's a good idea to get your protein from sources other than meat.
Most of all, this information challenges philosophies that insist we starve ourselves or eat the same amount as mice. It may help a mouse to eat only crumbs, but it won't necessarily help you.
This is also a note to my husband, dear J.D. please eat something today.
P.S. Not to say that J.D. doesn't eat, or that he tries to starve himself. He just has an amazing ability to forget about eating.
1 comment:
Well, I agree...eat something when you want to. Your body will tell you what you need.
There is an article I found on the New York Times that also had some interesting stuff in it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/17/dining/17diet.html?_r=1&scp=6&sq=eating%20more&st=cse&oref=slogin
It's about eating to enjoy life and food instead of to worry about calories, etc. I was eating a half of a low fat ice cream sandwich when I realized that it had just about the same calories as the regular ice cream sandwich...and was going to be a lot less satisfying and interesting. I decided to stop buying the low fat kind. Why bother if it's the same calories and I'm just tempted to eat 2?
Anyway, I agree. Eat more JD if you read this. You certainly need to.
Post a Comment