Saturday, November 8, 2008

Any ideas?

I received my names for the people we're helping out this winter. They are both older, single women. Please help give me ideas for something special you think I could do for them. These descriptions will just melt your heart.

First name: Viola, 79 years old. "She is an elderly woman who lives alone. She has no family around to help her out. Her income is very limited, $623 a month, and Viola could use some help with the purchase of personal items such as winter clothing, shoes, and a winter coat."

First name: Dorothy, 50, "She is a 50 year old woman living on a fixed income, $750 a month, trying to make ends meet. Dorothy needs help with winter clothing, shoes, personal hygiene items, linen, blankets, bath & wash cloths, dishes, rugs, cleaning supplies, and/or food."

The program asks us to give at least 2 gifts to each person, one practical and one for enjoyment. I'm thinking definitely the shoes and coats, but what else would be a nice surprise for someone in these circumstances?

5 comments:

lutheranchick said...

Honestly things like chocolate assortments or prettily scented handcreams tend to work well, i.e. little indulgences they can't afford for themselves. Sometimes one can find a coordinated scent set in something like vanilla or rose. It can make someone feel feminine and pretty.

vesperstar said...

Those are good ideas. Thanks!

Ms. K said...

I have given this a lot of thought and decided that someone who is used to not having very basic things might view something too indulgent as wasteful.
So I was thinking something like a warm fuzzy house robe or some comfy pjs might be nice or something that they can use for creativity like a paint set and some canvases, a really good novel to get lost, or a Journal. Is there anyway to find out about their interests a little? That is the only problem, it would be nice to know a little about their personality so you can get something meaninful to them.

vesperstar said...

j4luck,

I think that is very thoughtful, and identifies one of the issues I was worried about. There isn't any additional information to personalize the gifts. Maybe I'll go with a nice handcream, as lutheranchick suggested, and some fuzzy, warm socks (who doesn't love those) or gloves in addition to the much needed coat and shoes?

I need to go shopping!

Olivia said...

I'd like to throw in something too, let me ask my sister....she has a lot of experience in this area.