
Looking for an opportunity, many opportunities, to do some good will probably help me more than anyone else.
I find when I'm wrapped-up entirely in my narrow, small little world, that my life feels less meaningful.
I've thought a lot about whether or not there really is true altruism, or at least the definition of it that implies doing good with no benefit to oneself. I really don't think that's possible. We're all connected, and doing good for others in some way always gives back, if nothing else, you get warm fuzzies and feel like a good human being.
This time of year it's easy to find plenty of opportunities to help out. While checking my e-mail this morning I found 5 already! Now, if I blog about my activities will that take away some of the shine? Yes, probably. The best deeds tend to be the ones you do out of love with no expectation anyone will ever know. But I hope it will help me keep track and update my progress along the way. Maybe it might give others ideas, and hopefully, all of my friends can help give me more ideas too! Besides, my friends are always doing good things for others, and you all inspire me, whether it's by rescuing a hungry, dirty kitten from the streets, providing art for a community, being there to give spiritual guidance when people most need it, or taking food to families facing difficulties or challenges.
I find when I'm wrapped-up entirely in my narrow, small little world, that my life feels less meaningful.
I've thought a lot about whether or not there really is true altruism, or at least the definition of it that implies doing good with no benefit to oneself. I really don't think that's possible. We're all connected, and doing good for others in some way always gives back, if nothing else, you get warm fuzzies and feel like a good human being.
This time of year it's easy to find plenty of opportunities to help out. While checking my e-mail this morning I found 5 already! Now, if I blog about my activities will that take away some of the shine? Yes, probably. The best deeds tend to be the ones you do out of love with no expectation anyone will ever know. But I hope it will help me keep track and update my progress along the way. Maybe it might give others ideas, and hopefully, all of my friends can help give me more ideas too! Besides, my friends are always doing good things for others, and you all inspire me, whether it's by rescuing a hungry, dirty kitten from the streets, providing art for a community, being there to give spiritual guidance when people most need it, or taking food to families facing difficulties or challenges.
So, my personal goal is 20 good deeds and 24 hours of community service by January 20, 2009. (I tried to set an ambitious but reasonable goal). The problem will be deciding what counts as what. Hmmm.... well, I don't want to impose any rules, but please feel free to comment if something would make more sense seen in another light.
Good Deeds / Charity:
1. Giving blood, my appointment is Nov. 12
2. Sponsoring a local family for the holidays.
3. Joined Amnesty International and sent a letter via them to President Elect Obama asking him to address Human Rights in the first 100 days of his administration.
4. Bought a net to protect against malaria. This is a charity that I really like because 100% of the funds go to help save lives in partnership with the United Nations Foundation. Ten dollars can save someone's life. Google "Nothing but Nets" if the link doesn't work and you want to check it out.
5. Mostly cleaned the library bathroom when someone dumped (probably accidentally) liquid soap ALL over and just left it. The soap container was knocked off the wall.
6. Donated the difference of J.D.'s employee discount to the March of Dimes.
7. Signed up for small monthly donation to heat St. Louis homes.
8. Dropped off a box of canned goods at the school for a local food pantry.
9. Signed petition to stop inhumane treatment of turkeys and chickens.
10. Donated extra wrapping paper to GTGB program.
Time:
1. One and a half hours preparing and wrapping presents for sponsored families, Nov. 15.
(That should actually be really fun; I love wrapping presents. Does it count as service if you love doing it?)
2. Nov. 22, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. getting presents ready for families.
8 comments:
Yes, Virginia, there is still altruism in this world, and it comes in the form of spontaneous acts like yours--intended to help someone less fortunate. Perhaps the measuring makes you feel like it rings hollow, but maybe it's just there so that you can keep on track, and not fall to the wayside, like so many of us tend to do.
It's better than Earl's list, no?
Smiles,
Cather
Catherine, You're very sweet and understanding. :)
I'm not sure what I'll do about Cupcake. Michael's already asking me how long she'll be here, but she still hisses when you go to pet her. But she purrs when you do! She also gets very food-aggressive, so when you give her food, it's hard to motivate her that way. She just kind of growls and gulps it as fast as she can. I guess she doesn't understand that raccoons and possums aren't going to come up and chase her away at any moment.
Anyway, I guess it will just take some time.
Smiles again!
I think you should blog about the good you do! It will help to inspire others and let everyone see all the opportunities that are out there. I know for me, and I am sure for others, that it sometimes is hard to recognize all the little ways we can do good. We tend to think that doing good requires taking a lot of time and doing something big. I don't think it takes away the selflessness of it at all.
Thanks j4luck. :) I think you're right about all the little things people do everyday.
The sad thing is that I'm not sure there are any purely good deeds left. I used to do things like give blood because I thought it was the right thing to do. Now it's all mixed in with the job description. Be nice, listen, give blood, give money, on and on it goes. Ringing bells for the Salvation Army this year is actually written into my contract.
I meant to say, "The sad thing is that I'm not sure there are any purely good deeds left, at least not for me."
I think the rest of the world does plenty of good things just because it's nice that way.
I never thought of it that way, of having good deeds part of your job requirement. I can see how ringing bells for the Salvation Army, as specified in a contract, would make freezing one's buns off a little less glorious.
But, obviously you went into that work because it's already in your heart to do those things, contract or no. (By in your heart, I meant the good deeds part, not necessarily the freezing of buns). :)
Post a Comment